Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Pinto Beans for the Non Pinto Bean Lover

Uncle Steve's World Famous Pinto Beans

Ok first let me start by saying that Uncle Steve is not my Uncle but he sure does have a great recipe here! Haha.

Secondly, if you are a person that just doesn't care for pinto beans prepared the southern way or know someone that fit's that description, you may want to give these a try.

My husband is one of those people and one day I decided to try this recipe just for him. I must say that I loved it too! So now he doesn't mind when I make pinto's as long as I make them this way :)

On with the recipe!

I will take a photo to upload later! I promise!


Uncle Steve's World Famous Pinto Beans
Recipe taken from: Cooks.com on 9/13/2005
Submitted by: Stephen Knowles
Shared By: Barbara Burrell
http://1blessedcook.blogspot.com



INGREDIENTS:

4 Cups Pinto Beans (picked over and rinsed)

3 Beef Bouillon Cubes

1/2 lb Bacon Thick Cut (cut into larger pieces)

1 Onion (Large)

4 Garlic Cloves (pressed through a garlic press) *or just use prepared minced garlic*

1 TBS Chili Powder

1 TBS Brown Sugar

1/2 TBS Ground Pepper (freshly ground or whatever you have on hand will work)

5 Packets of Taco Bell Sauce (I usually just use the bottled stuff and you could use around 5 TBS roughly)


Directions:

1. Place beans, onion, and bouillon cubes in large pot with a tight fitting cover and add enough water to cover the beans by about 2 inches.

2. Bring to a boil over high heat.

3. Meanwhile place Bacon in a medium frying pan and cook until the fat is translucent, while flipping over medium heat.

4. Add garlic to the bacon, remove from heat and stir for about 30 seconds and then add mixture to the beans.

5. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are soft, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours total cooking time. Adding more hot water if needed.

6. Add Chili powder, brown sugar, pepper and Taco Bell Sauce.

7. Simmer for another 10 minutes and then serve.

Suggestion: These are great when paired with Jalepeno Bacon Cornbread

No comments:

Post a Comment