Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Instant Pancake Mix (Make Your Own)
I use this pancake mix instead of buying the store bought ones. It's much more economical and it tastes just as good if not better :) Especially after you follow the recipe for making pancakes with this mix!
Instant Pancake Mix
Tweaked & Doubled by: Barbara Burrell
For the Mix
12 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking soda (check expiration date first)
6 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoon kosher salt
5 tablespoons sugar
Mix all ingredients in large bowl and add to a air tight container for storage.
TIP *I write the pancake mix recipe on a notecard and tape it to the container for easy refilling without having to look up the recipe again and again.
I do the same thing with the Pancake recipe so that anyone can make pancakes when they want them. The recipe is right on the container.
by Alton Brown
2 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk or substitute 2 Cups Milk and 2 TBS Lemon Juice
4 tablespoons melted butter (you can omit this I do often)
1/2 cup butter, for greasing the pan
2 cups fresh fruit, such as blueberries, if desired
For the Pancakes:
1. Whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk in a small bowl
In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the melted butter.
2. Combine the buttermilk mixture with the egg yolk mixture in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined.
3. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of 2 cups of the pancake mix
4. Using a whisk, mix the batter just enough to bring it together
Don't try to work all the lumps out.
5. Check to see that the griddle is hot by placing a few drops of water onto the griddle. The griddle is ready if the water dances across the surface.
6. Lightly butter the griddle.
Wipe off thoroughly with a paper towel(No butter should be visible).
7. Gently ladle the pancake batter onto the griddle and sprinkle on fruit if desired
8. When bubbles begin to set around the edges of the pancake, and the griddle-side of the cake is golden, gently flip the pancakes.
9. Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the pancake is set.
10. Serve Warm.