Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
By: Barbara Burrell
This is a popular cake with our family and friends. It’s a popular cake that I often get many recipe requests for. You can present it in many ways: Bundt Cake, Cupcakes, Mini Loaves, Large Loaves, etc. I use this as a bake sale item and they go quickly.
1/4 Cup Poppy Seeds (optional but definitely worth the extra flavor)
1/4 Cup Milk
1 (18.25 ounce) package Lemon Cake Mix
1 (3.4 ounce) package Instant Lemon Pudding Mix
1 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 TBS Lemon Juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt or Angel Food Cake Pan (or 2 *24 reg size muffin pans),
*NOTE: I use the Nonstick Pan Release recipe for greasing and it works perfectly* See my recipe section.
3. In a large mixing bowl add milk,poppy seeds, water, vegetable oil, eggs, cake mix and pudding mix.
4. Mix all ingredients until combined well (about 5 minutes in my kitchen aid mixer).
5. FOR CAKE: If making the cake pour entire batter into your greased pan and Bake in Oven for 40-45 minutes or until sides are light brown and toothpick or skewer comes out clean.
FOR CUPCAKES: If making cupcakes use about 1/4 cup to measure out the batter for each regular size cupcake. 1/3 seems to make it a little too full so be careful if you use more than 1/4 cup. The batter should make 24 regular sized cupcakes. Allow the cupcakes to bake for about 25 minutes or until center comes out clean and edges are a light brown.
FOR MINI LOAVES (9 count Pan): Fill loaf pans up 1/2 way and bake for 25 minutes or until done.
FOR MEDIUM SIZE LOAVES: Fill loaf pan up 1/2 way and bake for 40 minutes or until done.
6. Remove Cake/Cupcakes from Pan after allowing to sit for about 5 minutes.
7. Place Cake on Stand or Plate.
Place Cupcakes On Cooling Rack.
8. *OPTIONAL* Poke holes into the cake/cupcakes to where you have alot of small holes spaced apart.
9. *OPTIONAL* Pour glaze over entire cake/cupcakes (this will absorb into the cake making it more moist and lemony).
1 1/2 to 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
Combine Powdered Sugar and Lemon Juice in small mixing bowl and mix well with fork or whisk until completely combined and consistency is that of a glaze.