Version by: Barbara Burrell
I tweaked this recipe slightly to my own tastes and to fit our family of 6 plus leftovers but if you need less I would just advising you to only cut the amount of potatoes, chicken stock and heavy whipping cream in half but leave everything else as is to keep a good balance. Warning! This soup is amazing and everyone wants more Thanks to Siggy Spice for the awesome inspiration. !
•1/2 -1 Cup Real Bacon Pieces or 4 slices bacon, diced
•2 lbs ground hot Italian sausage (I generally use 2 packages of Meijer Brand or Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausages and remove the casings)
•1 large yellow onion, diced
•4 cloves garlic, minced
•2 Cartons (64 oz)chicken stock
•8 cups red or russet potatoes with skins on, cubed (use about 4 cups if you want to scale down but we love the potatoes)
•1 tsp sea salt
•1 TBS freshly ground black pepper
•1 Bunch of kale washed and cut or torn into bite size pieces or 6-8 Cups of Frozen Kale Pieces (Costco).
•1 Pint heavy whipping cream
•Parmesan cheese, grated, to taste
1. In a large pot add the sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks. Once the sausage is browned and crumbled add the bacon pieces.
2. Remove sausage and drain off grease leaving a tbsp to saute the onion. Add the onion to the pan; saute until translucent; add garlic; saute until fragrant.
3. Add the bacon and sausage back into the pot.
4. Stir in the stock and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5. Add kale and heavy whipping cream. Bring to a simmer. Top with Parmesan cheese, when serving.
Suggestions: Serve with Warm Bread & Salad.