Before going into the oven....
After coming out....
This is one of the yummiest recipes that I have come across. It is not uniquely mine but I wanted to share it with you since it is a huge favorite in our house.
If you like those mall pretzels that are hot,soft and yummy you'll also love these. They taste just like them if not better! If you go for the cinnamon sugar version I definitely would recommend adding some vanilla and a little more sugar to the dough mixture to sweeten the inside up as well. Other than that I hope you'll give these a try as they are truly very easy to make. I always throw mine in my kitchen aid mixer with the dough hook for a few minutes until everything is combined and it works great. Sometimes I throw it in my bread machine just long enough for everything to mix up on the dough cycle and then remove it as well.
Enjoy if you happen to try them :)
Auntie's Delicious Soft Pretzels, Amish Recipe
Shared By: Barbara Burrell
1 1/4 cups water (approx 105 degrees)
1 tablespoon yeast
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups occident flour (bread flour)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup baking soda, into
3 cups hot water
Butter (real unsalted butter works best) * for 'dipping' face of pretzels after baking (melt butter, then dip pretzels)
1. Dissolve yeast into warm water.
2. Add sugar, then flour& mix well- do not 'knead' as this toughens the dough.
3.(Mix just until combined well) Let rise until doubled, at least 20 minutes.
4. Cut into long 'ropes'.
5. Shape into pretzel shapes or nuggets, then dip into prepared dipping solution.
6. Place on well-greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with pretzel salt.
7. Bake at 500-550°F for 4-6 minutes until golden brown.
8. Dip face of pretzel into melted butter.
9. Variation: add 1 t vanilla to the dough.
10. Flavor variations.
11. Cinnamon/sugar- omit salt& dip into cinnamon sugar after face has been coated with butter.
12. Sour cream& onion- after dipping face of pretzel in butter, sprinkle with sour cream& onion powder Garlic- same as sour cream& onion, but use garlic powder.
13. Sesame or poppy seed--BEFORE baking, AFTER dipping into dipping solution, dip pretzel face-down into the seeds, then bake.
14. Salt is optional with this one.