Barb’s Flavorful Chicken Enchiladas *updated to add picture*
Recipe By: Barbara Burrell
June 11, 2009
Easy to make and deliciously creamy and flavorful. You won’t be disappointed!
1 lb Rotisserie Chicken deboned and skins removed BBQ works well. Shred or chop in food processor)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
8 (8 inch) flour tortillas, softened
16 oz (2 small bricks) grated mild cheddar cheese, divided (or a nice Monterey jack, Mexican blend would be good as well or for a kick use pepper jack)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
15 oz Water (just under 2 Cups)
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
1 cup sour cream
½ Packet of Taco Seasoning
8 Slices of Jalepenos (jar/pickled style) diced
1 Small Can Diced Tomatoes or use 2 Large fresh tomatoes
1. In saucepan, warm chicken and onion together in oil over medium-high heat until onion is sauted and chicken is warm.
2. Divide cooked chicken evenly between 8 tortillas; add cheese evenly to each tortilla about 2 TBS works well.
3. Roll enchiladas and place seam-side down in 9x13" baking dish.
4. Place 2 bouillon cubes in water and dissolve (or use chicken broth)
5. Melt butter in the same saucepan that you warmed the meat and onions in. stir in flour to make a roux; stir and cook until bubbly; gradually whisk in chicken broth then bring to boiling, stirring frequently until thickened. Add taco seasoning and blend thoroughly together.
6. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream,can tomatoes and jalepenos. Pour sauce evenly over enchiladas.
7. Top with remaining cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce near edges of baking dish is bubbly.